What is a Manufacturing Restriced Substance List?
Compared to an exclusively product-related RSL (Restricted Substance List), a Manufacturing Restricted Substance List (MRSL) compiles limited or banned chemicals that are used in the different production processes of textiles and leather articles.
Brands, retailers and manufacturers typically use MRSLs as a tool to regulate and ensure the safety of chemical formulations, thus protecting the environment from harmful substances that, for example, could end up in waste water, come into contact with workers or affect consumer health as residues in final products.
PRODUCT SAFETY THROUGH RSL TESTING
RSL vs. MRSL
- List of restricted chemicals, auxiliaries and other substances present in textile or leather products, including substances with threshold limit values
- Restricted substance lists are based on worldwide regulations or toxicological expertise
- Verified through analytical testing of processed textiles
OEKO-TEX® STANDARD 100 RSL
- List of substances whose use is limited or prohibited in textile and leather production
- Manufacturing restricted substance lists are based on worldwide regulations or toxicological expertise
- Verified through chemical inventory review & analytical testing of chemical mixtures
OEKO-TEX® ECO PASSPORT MRSL
Why does RSL / MRSL testing matter?
Consumers are getting more and more concious and concerned about product safety and the protection of the environment, especially since the production of textiles and leather goods are among the industries that have the greatest ecological impact.
Brands and retailers have to meet these challenges and comply with relevant RSLs and MRSLs to credibly document that they are living up to their product stewardhip. Manufacturers and suppliers need to ensure that their products are compliant with their customers and legal requirements.
We are your competent partner when it comes to chemical services
With our globally available testing, auditing, consulting and collaboration, Hohenstein helps you to meet the requirements of various international RSLs and MRSLs, for example when it comes to ZDHC conform textile production. But we also offer you many other services such as wastewater analysis or checking compliance with REACH legislation.