- Does the OEKO-TEX® Impact Calculator calculate a facility's CO2 emissions or all greenhouse gases (GHG)?
- The Impact Calculator covers all greenhouse gases (CO2, CH4, N2O, PFCs, HFCs, SF6, NF3)
- We could call it the "Greenhouse Gas and Water Footprint Calculator". However, "Carbon Footprint" is used interchangably and more commonly
- To compare the contribution of each GHG, we convert all GHGs to CO2 equivalent (CO2e)
- How is CO2e calculated?
- Activity Data x Emission Factor = CO2e
- Why is an accurate, baseline emission measurement so important?
- You can't reduce what you can't measure
- The baseline shows the hotspots, helps prioritize reduction activities and provides starting point for tracking improvements
The OEKO-TEX® Impact Calculator provides an assessment of the materials and processes that contribute most to environmental impact, so that production facilities can target their reduction efforts. This OEKO-TEX® tool calculates the water and carbon footprint for:
- Each process step
- The overall process
- 1 kg of material/product
Voluntary use of the tool is included for any facility applying for (or currently holding) an OEKO-TEX® STeP Certificate.
Consumers and brands are holding companies accountable for climate action. Over 100 fashion brands have signed the Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Action, committing to reducing GHG emissions 30% by 2030. According to a CDP industry comparison, the apparel sector is underperforming in measurement and monitoring its water impacts. We must use data to:
- Understand production-related carbon emissions and water usage
- Identify which processes have highest environmental impacts
- Act to reduce carbon and water impacts
- Report results and reduction measures to customers
Three LCA types:
- Product LCAs measure the impacts of a single product throughout its value chain
- Comparative LCAs weigh the impacts of products (e.g. T-Shirt made of cotton vs. viscose)
- Corporate LCAs assess an organization’s entire footprint and usually focus only on carbon (not water) footprint
The OEKO-TEX® Impact Calculator combines elements of all three, customized to the textile industry.
The OEKO-TEX® Impact calculator is a so-called Screening LCA and was developed over three years of intensive research and testing with Quantis (sustainability consultancy).
Screening LCAs are less resource and time intensive than a full LCA, yet provide sufficient and credible insight to identify a facility’s biggest carbon emissions and water impacts. The OEKO-TEX® calculator addresses the needs and processes specific to textile production.
The OEKO-TEX® Impact Calculator incorporates:
- Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Protocol - IPCC 2013 100a approach for calculating carbon emissions (CO2e)
- EU Commission - AWARE methodology to measure the water impacts (m3)
- World Apparel and Footwear Database (WALDB) and ecoinvent database
- Elements of the product LCA to measure the impacts of material output
- Elements from the Corporate LCA to measure the overall facility level impact
Data from the calculations will be used to continuously improve the tool.